sábado, 26 de setembro de 2015

Blind and Bloodshot with Debrider - An Interview


Lia Helene Pisa-Relli é a moça melancólica e angustiada sob a alcunha de Debrider que recentemente debutou com um triste e belo Ep intitulado Blind and Bloodshot;

Um exercício slowcore belo e angustiante ao mesmo tempo, nuances de shoegazer podem ser sentidas mas ficam apenas como referências pois os caminhos percorridos por Lia em sua estreia são muito mais melódicos e sem ruídos ou sonhos, a presença de tristeza é presente.

Quando a música te toca não há como escapar, e o Debrider faz exatamente isso, toca profundamente mente e alma.

***** Interview with Debrider *****


Q. When did Debrider start? Tell us about the history...
Debrider started only about four months ago, in the wake of a really hard time in my life when I was dealing with transition and betrayal. This project was birthed through the intense emotions I was dealing with at that time and was motivated by my need to have an outlet for those feelings. I had a lot of ideas I had trouble translating into music, since I was previously only a singer in another band. But this project was the outcome of me picking up a guitar and learning how to actually use it. Debrider is the first project where I am writing, composing, and playing everything myself.

Q: Who are your influences?
my influences seem to be pretty unique and obscure female musicians with strong vocals. Chelsea Wolfe, Lady Miss Kier of Deee-Lite and Harriet Wheeler are just a few. I’m also heavily influenced by the people in my life who have drawn any strong emotion out of me (usually negative) because that is where I get the most writing material.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
Eggs are Funny- Mew
The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me- Brand New
World Clique- Deee-Lite
Any album by Granddaddy
Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath

Q. How do you feel playing live?
Playing an instrument while singing live is something totally new and exciting for me. It feels very vulnerable and nerve-wracking, but in a good way. That clichéd dream where you are naked on stage in front of a crowd of people – that’s how I feel. But it’s not a bad kind of vulnerability. It keeps my life exciting, because I thrive on transparency. I want people to know me and feel what I feel.


Q. How do you describe Debrider sounds?
Debrider is dreamy shoegaze- inspired sad kid music. But the layers of melodic wash make it a kind of sad you can enjoy. It sounds like longing and confusion. It sounds like the beauty that comes from making sense of things. There’s almost a sensual undertone to it also. I call it “bedroom-gaze”.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the album?
Recording the album was very fluid. A lot of the parts of the songs came together during the recording process as I just added things that sounded like they were missing as they popped into my head. Songwriting for me starts as poetry on paper, then I will write guitar melodies, and fit the lyrics and vocal melodies in with the guitar parts like a puzzle and see what fits. Once things come together the bare bones are recorded and synth, bass, drum beats, vocal harmonies, etc. are added as needed.

Q. Which new bands do you recommended
YUM. Is an awesome band and also great friends of mine. Body Thief, lightfields, Sealab, Naked, and Collider are some bands and friends of mine that are all making awesome music and worth checking out.

Q: Which bands would you love to make a cover version of?
I definitely would like to cover a Brand New song. I did a cover of Built to Spill’s “The Wait” on my EP “Blind and Bloodshot and that was fun to do. Built to Spill is great.

Q: What are your plans for the future?
I have a pretty big show coming up in November where I will be performing with a multi-instrumentalist and friend named Kristina Marie. She does really amazing stuff on an electronic drum pad, creates beautiful soundscapes on her Moeg synth, and plays electric violin. We’ve been writing music and she’s been adding her own touch to the EP songs for the show coming up and it sounds really epic. Electric violin has been so amazing to collaborate with. I also am in the process of a music video for “Love Song”, and am about halfway through writing my debut full-length album. I’ve been really inspired and busy with new music and lots of exciting things are coming.

Q: Any parting words?
One of the most important and cathartic skills I can recommend honing, is to take all the hate, sadness, betrayal, confusion, fear, or whatever, and let it drive you. Let it drive you nuts until you find the most creative and explosive means to let it out and turn it into something. Anything. That has been life-changing. And saved my life.
*
*
*
Thanks

https://debrider.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/Debridermusic